Re: Procmail 3.22 with Qmail Maildirs

2001-10-18 07:51:08
On 16 Oct 2001 Philip Guenther (guenther(_at_)gac(_dot_)edu) wrote:

Andrew Hill <list(_at_)fornax(_dot_)net> writes:

2) Calling procmail from .qmail file via wrapper script as advised in
the Life with Qmail FAQ (see http://www.lifewithqmail.org/lwq.html#procmail)

Thanks for pointing this wrapper script out -- I've added a link to it
in my Procmail Quick Start.

I would also suggest moving the LOGFILE assignment to the very top of the
rcfile, before the VERBOSE assignment.

I also changed the .procmailrc file that I give here

 <http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/#testing.rc>

so LOGFILE is set before VERBOSE. Question: How important is it to do
this? Is it just a matter of aesthetics or does it make a difference
to procmail's ability to write to the log (e.g., does it affect
procmail's logging efficiency?)

If you remove $HOME/procmail-log and send yourself an email, procmail
should recreate it.  Does it?  What are its permissions?

Speaking of permissions, I've added

 UMASK=077

to the .procmailrc in my Procmail Quick Start and I'm wondering:

* does this affect the permission of log files as well as mailboxes and
  messages? what else does it affect?

* is it a good idea for me to suggest this to newbie Procmail users or
  is it possible this could cause them problems?

Thanks,
Nancy

--
ii Procmail QStart: <http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/>

Nancy McGough         <http://www.ii.com/>         Infinite Ink
--= Sent via Pine: IMAP, NNTP & ESMTP for Unix/Win/Mac OS X =--