Re: Web interface for procmail?

2001-11-06 09:52:15
Actually I only need a very limited subset of procmail's abilities. I
just want to be able to give Web mail users a way to filter messages
(e.g. from mailing lists). This clearly does not require all the
capabilities of procmail. Also, since the Web interface would be the
only way recipes would be generated, there is no need to parse
.procmailrc ... it would just get overwritten.

I'm sure there's a better way -- Sieve and Web Sieve would work for
Cyrus, but I'm not sure if they'd work with UW. Anyway, the Web
interface isn't for everyone, just for casual users who want to be
able to do some basic filtering. The ones with the more sophisticated
needs can edit .procmailrc for themselves.

Thanks!

Jen

----- Original Message -----
From: Charlie Summers <charlie(_at_)lofcom(_dot_)com>
To: Jen Wu <jen(_at_)dangerousideas(_dot_)com>;
<procmail(_at_)Lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE>
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2001 9:00 AM
Subject: Re: Web interface for procmail?

At 11:49 AM -0500 11/5/01, Pollywog is rumored to have typed:

A web interface would help people who do not know Procmail and how
write filter rules.

   Yike. It would be interesting to see the underlying programming
should you
decide to write something like that (I'd probably use PHP if I were
going to
do something like that), but I'd rather not suffer the support costs
of
having users who don't understand procmail completely mucking up
their mail
and then blaming the web interface.

   Sometimes you just can't protect a user from actually having to
learn
something. And if they are unwilling to learn, they probably
shouldn't use a
powerful tool like procmail.

         Charlie