Re: formail problems from ~/.procmailrc

2001-11-10 11:47:16
On 11/10/01 10:41 AM, Odhiambo Washington sat at the `puter and typed:
* Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+procmail(_at_)keyslapper(_dot_)org> [20011110
01:27]: writing on the subject 'formail problems from ~/.procmailrc'
| I'm getting frustrated with the ever growing quantity of spam in my
| various inboxes.  I tried Junkfilter, but it caught nothing except my
| FreeBSD list mail - all of it.

Louis,

Maybe I can save you some time that you can use to do other things;)
I've spent a good time working on a spam filter - referring to info
from all corners and as of now, I can say I am happy. All the spam I
get are 'bounced' back. I say 'bounced' because I keep a copy and always
look at them to see if there is a matching criteria I can use to further
refine my recipe. The other type of spam I get are those sent to my other
(old) e-mail addresses that I kinda must live with, but I have to allow
those. If I directed my recipe to /dev/null I'll only see 1 or 2 spam a
week and there is no risk of blocking the mailing lists, even CCs to the
lists.
My recipe was concoted mostly from Timo Salmi's (http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/)

All you have to do is define a greenlist and exempt it from the recipe. This
recipe also creates a blacklist and once an address is there, my main
.procmailrc
will respond with exit code 67.

Thanks Wash.

It looks like you have some pretty  good stuff there. I'll take a look
and see what I can use here. I'd like to avoid simply greenlisting the
mailing lists,  because as  you have probably  noticed, spam  can come
thru the lists too. I've even gotten  spam at my list address, but not
from the list  (remember my user+folder scheme)  where the unsubscribe
info would have me unsubscribe from  the mail list! I don't understand
why these morons think lying to someone outright will convince them to
buy a product.  Half the time there isn't even  enough info to contact
the product distributor.

Enough ranting.  Thanks again.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc(_at_)keyslapper(_dot_)org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

First Law of Bicycling:
  No matter which way you ride, it's uphill and against the wind.