RE: two questions...

2002-01-07 15:54:22
pc> I'm currently assuming that /^(SUBJECT|DATE|FROM|TO):/ in the
pc> headers is an indication of spam.  Is that a safe assumption?

I personally wouldn't be crazy about the idea of mere presence or
absence of any of those headers meaning anything in particular w/r/t
spam.  In theory, some headers are required and others are optional,
but in practice you see a lot of different things from the wide
variety of email clients in the world.

Specifically...

*  On some flavors of UNIX, depending on the chain of software
   handling things, people can pipe stuff into /bin/mail and you might
   not get *any* of the headers you mentioned.

*  I get plenty of email from people with no subject.  Some of their
   email clients send a blank SUBJECT: header while others send no
   SUBJECT: header at all.

*  If everyone is BCC'd on a message (very common, for example, in
   those "I have new contact info; here it is" messages), the official
   format is to have no TO: or CC: headers and exactly one empty BCC:
   header.
--
bill(_at_)carpenter(_dot_)ORG (WJCarpenter)    PGP 0x91865119