Re: sendmail, qmail, or Postfix?

2002-01-15 09:44:12
| Which one works the best with procmail?

Sean and Martin have given administrators' perspectives on Mark's question.
Having been a user with no administrative authority on systems using all
three, I'd say that from a user's vantage point qmail's accompanying utility
preline gives qmail a very slight edge over Postfix and sendmail, but only
in features that very few users would ever come near.

On the other hand, there is Smail.  Feh, yecch, ptui.  I do not know how
Smail behaves when procmail is the integrated LDA, but when it invokes
another delivery program through a pipe in the alias table or a pipe in a
user's ~/.forward, it doesn't care about the exit code of the delivery
program nor even whether it can execute the program: it just drops the
message and runs.  If the delivery program isn't executed (I had a case once
where some overhelpful ISP employee changed my home directory's perms from
755 to 700, and an alias invoked under the uid of "nobody" couldn't find,
much less run, ~dattier/bin/procmail), the message disappears.  If something
goes wrong with the delivery program, the message is lost.  If you try to
make procmail trigger a bounce by setting EXITCODE to a non-zero number,
Smail doesn't care and the message is not bounced.