Re: Bouncing a message

2002-01-17 20:07:16
At 12:02 AM 1/17/02 -0600, David W. Tamkin wrote:
RE:
... or in most cases if you're invoking procmail from ~/.forward, but not if
you're running procmail from a shell prompt, a shell script, or a cron job

| :0
| * [your conditions go here]
| { EXITCODE=67 }

However, procmail will still deliver a copy of the message to your folders.
If you really want not to see it at all, you need to do this:

 :0
 * conditions
 { EXITCODE-67 }
  :0A
  /dev/null

Hey David... I''m running Procmail via a .forward file but just have never been able to get this thing to bounce (I also tried e-mailing myself/unique address for testing from another computer). My ISP is running Sendmail 8.something on an AIX flavored Unix. I don't know if this makes any difference or not.

But if I can ever get it to work, what I'd like to do is send a bounce autoreply AND then have it EXITCODE bounce. In the event a bogus "From:" address was used (thus rendering the autoreply bounce useless), will the EXITCODE method reach the sender or sender's ISP or is it really the same as my autoreply? I publicly claim ignorance here ;-(

Presently I'm using:  (real addressed disguised)

:0hc:
* !^FROM_DAEMON
* ^From:(_dot_)*jerk(_at_)unwanted(_dot_)com
| (formail -r -A"Precedence: junk" \
    -I"From: Anti-Spam Squad <nospam(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com>" \
    -I"Subject: NO SPAM ACCEPTED HERE" \
    -A"X-Loop: me(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com" ; \
   cat $HOME/procmail/nospam.txt) | $SENDMAIL -oi -t

:0 c:
* ^From:(_dot_)*jerk(_at_)unwanted(_dot_)com
| formail -rtzxTo: >> $HOME/procmail/nospam.log

:0 a:
nospam.IN  (*)

(*).... sometimes I change it to /dev/null except for interim monitoring

I'm just not sure how to hook the two together to insure that my own autobounce WILL work in the event the EXITCODE part doesn't.

Based upon your post reply, what I'm thinking is in lieu of :0 a: & nospam.IN (above):

:0 a:
* ^From:(_dot_)*jerk(_at_)unwanted(_dot_)com
{ EXITCODE-67 }
:0A
/dev/null

Is this correct? What is the difference between :0A (and) :0 a: ??? Should I be using :0A in my current recipies???

Thank you very much.

Eric