Support your local Postmaster (was Re: Bouncing a mail)

2002-01-21 01:24:31
"Paul" == Paul Chvostek <paul(_at_)it(_dot_)ca> writes:

    Paul> Using procmail for local delivery and then using EXITCODE=67
    Paul> is *by far* the best option.  Note that if you do this, every
    Paul> bounce message you generate that is destined for a
    Paul> non-existent address may *also* cause one or more bounce
    Paul> messages to be sent to your local postmaster.  If you are not
    Paul> the postmaster, you should consult with your provider before
    Paul> implementing anything that could significantly increase their
    Paul> workload.

A warning like this should go anywhere setting EXITCODE is discussed.  I
wasted a lot of time myself when one of my users started doing that,
until I realized that those messages were SUPPOSED to bounce!

The worst part is that I knew he was experimenting with some procmail
UCE filters, and I even looked at (but did not SEE) his procmail
configuration.  And yes I felt very stupid :(

--
David L. Kindred
<mailto:d(_dot_)kindred(_at_)telesciences(_dot_)com>