Re: Support your local Postmaster

2002-01-21 10:01:45
David L. Kindred wrote,

| A warning like this should go anywhere setting EXITCODE is discussed.  I
| wasted a lot of time myself when one of my users started doing that,
| until I realized that those messages were SUPPOSED to bounce!

It would be nice if an MTA could distinguish between failures it discovers
on its own and those reported back to it by the LDA or by a pipe translation
(in the alias table or in a .forward), and I don't mean the kind of
distinction Smail makes.  Then only those found by the MTA need be carboned
to the postmaster.

Another way might be using a separate set of exit codes for the two classes;
a user might still set the value that notifies the postmaster, but it take a
deliberate act by the user.