Re: W32(_dot_)Badtrans(_dot_)B(_at_)mm spammers tip off ???

2002-01-17 20:50:57
At 19:02 2002-01-17 -0800, Eric Hilding did say:
Norton AntiVirus deleted the following email messages because they were infected with a virus:

This has Norton AV got to do with procmail?

Of interesting note, each of the "From:" e-mail address begins with an underscore. Is this a tip off of how this pain-in-the-butt annoyance is frequently spread???

It's a common factor - but one you can't rely on because underscores are valid (even if not particularly common) in email addresses. It's just as easy to block the messages based on attachment. See the list archives - it's been covered in some depth already.

If I setup a quick recipe to nuke anything From:.*/_.* will this also thrash any legitimate "firstname_lastname(_at_)somedomain(_dot_)com" e-mails which use an underscore between the names (as compared to starting with an underscore)???

Uhm, you have what appears to be a typo or something in your regexp. What it the '/' for ? Otherwise, yes, such an expression (with that slash removed) would end up matching anything with an underscore in it. In fact, it wouldn't even need to be in the address - it could be a comment. The trailing .* is unnecessary as well.

Rather than asking a question such as this, why not set up a sandbox and test it yourself? See my .sig for some pointers.