Re: is this procmail rant justified?

2002-01-30 13:29:51
Cliff Sarginson has joined the thread:

| I have known dozens of brilliant "C" programmers who could hardly mumble
| coherently let alone write coherently.

OK, they wrote very good code, but how good were they at reading other
programmers' code?  How good were they at finding non-obvious quirks of
others' code -- bad things that looked good and good things that, as is
typical of procmail's source, looked bad?  And how good were they at
communicating what they found in other programmers' code -- apparently they
sucked at that part.

When you tried to tell or ask them something, how well did they understand a
simple question or comment?  What about complex ones?  Did you have to keep
re-explaining what you were saying while they continued to give responses
that missed the point if any responses at all?

It boils down to this: how well did they process thoughts that didn't come
from inside their own minds?

At least those people mumbled; this ranter shouted, bellowed, and
pontificated.

| Likewise I have known dozens of
| very poor programmers who were extremely coherent (which is probably how
| they managed to keep their jobs).

I know thousands of people who are very poor programmers but who keep their
jobs because they earn their livings at something other than programming.