Re: Suggestion for Enhancement; B, H, ... and D

2002-02-15 22:57:55
| May I suggest the addition of the D flag to the above?

Look around for four horsemen, because Michael Wise and I agree on
something.  I'll even go farther and say that it would be nice to be able to
specify D on single conditions as well as a search area that isn't
necessarily B or H or HB or BH, or even on the default search area.

| SOME rules make sense as Case Sensitive (like "^date:"), and it would be
| nice if one didn't have to start a new {block} just for the occasional
| test.

Exactly.

| If I think about it longer, I'm sure I can come up with a better reason
| than, "It Just Feels Right", but ... there it sits.

You already had a better reason: that it's a pain to split a recipe into
nesting levels or an A-chain just because some regexps are case-sensitive
and some are not.  As I recall, expansions of tokens like ^TO_ and
^FROM_MAILER are already immune to the `D' flag, confusing the issue
further.

Thing is, what if the variable that names the search area already includes a
capital D?  There needs to be some other way to indicate it, and just about
everything is taken.  Maybe starting the regexp with an unescaped plus sign
(which is to say, I suppose, a not-twice escaped plus sign), or using plus
instead of asterisk to introduce the condition line (not such a good idea, I
suppose)?