Re: Suggestion for Enhancement; B, H, ... and D

2002-02-17 15:39:32
Philip wrote,

| It doesn't need to so obviously paired; you just need some way to turn
| it both on and off.

Your recommendations, all the same, were two markers that are obviously
paired.  Obvious pairing may not be a necessity, but it wouldn't hurt.

| To me, the obvious choice is to follow perl's lead and use its
| (?magic-stuff-here)
| syntax.  In particular, an embedded
| (?i)
| turns on case-insensitive matching till the next close-paren or the end
| of the regexp, while
| (?-i)
| turns it off for the same region.

Having no experience with perl -- I glanced at it years ago and just threw
up my hands, as too much was predicated on being familiar with C's syntax --
I had never heard of that.  Looks good to me.  It also, unlike anything
involving a backslash, doesn't need protection at the beginning of the
regexp.  It would need some modifying because insensitivity is the default
[such as (?s) or (?c) to turn sensitivity on and then (?-s) or (?-c)
respectively to turn it off, unless those specific markers are already in
use in perl to mean something else], but that's all.

It also provides Sean's desired avenue of extensibility.