best way to express a{3,7}

2002-02-19 22:00:47
| The former.  Why?  Well...

Philip,

You were clear from the first about the reason: that the form you recommend
is more efficient when the text that should match has some but not all of
the optional occurrences.

| Does that help?

Those who have not seen it before benefit from the explanation (as I did the
first time I saw you post it some time back), but what I need is a mnemonic
aid.  My problem is remembering the syntax that takes advantage of it.

The situation has never come up in any procmail rcfile I've used, so I've
tried to tackle it only in answering others' questions.  Perhaps if I needed
it myself it would stick with me.

David