Re: Suggestion for Enhancement; B, H, ... and D

2002-02-20 02:35:01
At 16:25:26 -0600 on Tue, 19 Feb , David critiqued:

|    [A-Za-z]{3}    # Exactly 3 case insensitive characters
|    [A-Za-z]{3,}   # 3 or more case insensitive characters
|    [A-Za-z]{,4}   # Up to case insensitive characters
|    [a-z]{3,7}     # 3 to 7 case sensitive characters

Not nearly so silly as the former, but still somewhat, and the reason is the
same.  If a range of how many matches to allow is ever implemented, the
braces will have to be backslash-escaped to avoid misunderstanding older
rcfiles where a brace meant a brace.  If you'd escaped the braces, then I'd
be all for it.

   David, I'm beginning to see where you're coming from. (I think)
Being based on egrep, procmail currently takes a backward step wrt grep (and
other POSIX 1003.2 tools):

man [e]grep:
   REGULAR EXPRESSIONS
   {n}    The preceding item is matched exactly n times.
   {n,}   The preceding item is matched n or more times.
   {,m}   The  preceding  item  is optional and is matched at
        most m times.
   {n,m}  The preceding item is matched at least n times, but
        not more than m times.

   In  egrep  the  metacharacter { loses its special meaning;
   instead use \{.
<<<

At 14:48:16 -0800 on Tue, 19 Feb, Bart solved the conundrum artfully:

        # In this rule, "Subject:" followed by 0 or more whitespaces,
        # then between three and seven of any character.
        :0X
        * Subject:\s*[a-z]{3,7}

Older rcfiles would lack the "X" flag so procmail would know to apply the
old rules.  The new rules could be anything, even perl-compatible REs.

   I'm rather hoping that Philip is more entertained intellectually by the
   longhand

   aaa(a(a(aa?)?)?)?

   than inclined to treat it as a really practical alternative to the posix

   a{3,7}b                                    ;-)

   How convenient it would be to move between tools which use POSIX 1003.2
   modern REs. Is there any goal for procmail to be in the club?

Regards,
Erik