Re: Quota Configurations

2002-03-20 19:22:52
At 09:31 2002-03-21 +0800, Daniel Tan wrote:
   does anyone know where or how to get some tips on configuring procmail
to work with sendmail on restricting user's mailbox space? i think i am very

Try using the searchable list archives:

Search for of all things, "quota". People have come up with some procmail recipe based things to do what you want to do, but you're losing out on the quota capabilities built into the FS (which procmail will otherwise pay attention to).

One could wonder why you don't just assign a quota to users and tell them that it is a combined homedir and mail spool limit -- someone can eat up their quota with web stuff or _saved_ email, or they can receive large emails and store them. Whatever they want - they're just limited to 'X' space total.

If you want email as a separate quota, and to do it the way it should be done, you should consider backing up your filesystem (uh, you do have backup facilities, right?) and repartition your HD so that you can re-create /var/mail (not var/spool/mail ?) to have its own partition that you can mount. As long as you mount all the new partitions in the proper places before you restore, there should be nothing tricky with the restore - things will head to where they belong.

Totally OT for the procmail list, so please don't follow up on this here: where possible, I usually leave ample UNPARTITIONED space on drives when setting up a new system, since it affords greater flexibility during the configuration stages. /tmp and swap are both relegated to a separate drive from /usr and /home whenever I'm deadling with multiple drives (which I nearly always am).