Re: procmail filters

2002-04-02 15:13:38

On 2 April 2002 at 22:35, Martin McCarthy
<marty(_at_)ancient-scotland(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:

mm> It does - it matters a lot [if the home dir is NFS mounted].
mm> For example, the machine on which mail is processed by
mm> procmail and delivered to your mailbox/filter may not be the
mm> same machine on which you read your mail and do your testing.

        I know for sure that the machine processing email with
        procmail is different from the one where my ~/.procmail and
        my mail spool exist; both of those files exist on a file
        server and my login shell uses that file server to get to
        my home dir.

mm> And there need not be any reason why the 'head' executable
mm> that runs on one machine will be able to run on the other.
mm> Each machine will have it's own correct version of head in
mm> /usr/bin (hence the version with /usr/bin/head works fine).
mm> The version in /home/kevinc/bin/head presumably only works
mm> on one of the machines - not the one on which the mail is
mm> processed.

        My personal copy of head is identical to the system copy
        of head; I made my copy with 'cp'.  Both versions of
        head are executed the same way, by procmail on the mail
        server machine.

mm> This error:
mm>
mm> kc> ld.so.1: /home/kevinc/bin/head: fatal: relocation error: file
/home/kevinc/bin/head: symbol textdomain: referenced symbol not found
mm>
mm> doesn't come from procmail.  The system is telling you that it can't
mm> load the libraries that it needs to execute /home/kevinc/bin/head -
mm> which is not surprising if it is a different machine with different
mm> libraries.

        Yes, I know it's a library loading problem.  My copy of
        head needs to load exactly the same libraries as the
        system copy.  Why would procmail be able to resolve one
        but not the other?  This is the BIG question.

        Thanks much....