Re: procmail filters

2002-04-02 15:42:02
At 12:19 2002-04-02 -0800, Kevin Cosgrove did say:

   procmail: Executing "/home/kevinc/bin/head,-48"
ld.so.1: /home/kevinc/bin/head: fatal: relocation error: file /home/kevinc/bin/head: symbol textdomain: referenced symbol not found

Have you tried running head from the mail server manually? I mean, explictly providing that path to invoke it? This isn't a procmail error.

   procmail: Program failure (-9) of "/home/kevinc/bin/head"

Like, no surprise, given the above system error.

I copied /usr/bin/head into /home/kevinc/bin/head.  How can I
tell how procmail is treating the two executable filters
differently?  Knowing this would help me figure out how to get
spamc working.

If it's NFS mounted, that means your home directory is likely on a different machine than either your mail or your shell server, in which case libraries which the binary was linked with may not be available. Add the following to your .procmailrc:

        LOG="I'm running on $HOST
"

Then, send yourself a test message, and from your shell account, run:

        hostname

I'd be VERY surprised if they're the same.

Does it matter if my home directory is NFS mounted?

Hmm, that seems to be an all-too-likely source of your problem. If you can run the copy from a shell, but not from the procmailrc, I'd say that's definatley your problem. It isn't inherently NFS that is the cause here - it's merely a clue that your mail server and shell server are NOT the same machine - copying executables from one to the other can cause problems.

Probably one of the most significant problems is the inability to complile your own programs with shared libraries (or worse, if the mail machine is using a dramatically different kernel), since your development tools and libraries are on the shell server, but you're trying to run the program from the mail server.

There's something to be said about the plusses of maintaining homogenous environments...

NFS references in the mini FAQ.  procmail seems to work except
for some filter programs.

It isn't procmail's fault if the system can't link your copy of the other binary because it comes from a dissimilar system.

It looks like procmail might not allow filters to run that are
outside of some PATH that I've yet to determine (I don't run the
the problematic mail server).

Procmail has no problems invoking programs which are outside of the PATH if you provide the explicit path to those programs when invoking them. Of course, those programs need to be able to be invokved on the system in question in the first place.