Re: procmail filters

2002-04-02 14:38:17
This recipe does what's expected:

    :0fw
    | /usr/bin/head -48

This recipe doesn't work at all

    :0fw
    | /home/kevinc/bin/head -48

I copied /usr/bin/head into /home/kevinc/bin/head.

Does it matter if my home directory is NFS mounted?

It does - it matters a lot.  For example, the machine on which mail is
processed by procmail and delivered to your mailbox/filter may not be
the same machine on which you read your mail and do your testing.  And
there need not be any reason why the 'head' executable that runs on one
machine will be able to run on the other.  Each machine will have it's
own correct version of head in /usr/bin (hence the version with
/usr/bin/head works fine).  The version in /home/kevinc/bin/head
presumably only works on one of the machines - not the one on which the
mail is processed.

This error:

ld.so.1: /home/kevinc/bin/head: fatal: relocation error: file
/home/kevinc/bin/head: symbol textdomain: referenced symbol not found

doesn't come from procmail.  The system is telling you that it can't
load the libraries that it needs to execute /home/kevinc/bin/head -
which is not surprising if it is a different machine with different
libraries.

Hope that helps,
Martin
--
Martin McCarthy                 /</                  PGP key available
    `Procmail Companion'        \>\  http://www.ancient-scotland.co.uk