Re: procmail filters

2002-04-02 15:42:31
At 13:59 2002-04-02 -0800, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:
        I know for sure that the machine processing email with
        procmail is different from the one where my ~/.procmail and

Okay, you have a clue.  Time to put it to good use. <g>

        My personal copy of head is identical to the system copy
        of head; I made my copy with 'cp'.  Both versions of
        head are executed the same way, by procmail on the mail
        server machine.

Your "shell" copy obviously isn't the same as your "mail" copy. Try adding the following to your .procmailrc and sending the requisite test message:

        :0ci
        * ^Subject: some keyword for you to run a quick test with
        | cp /usr/bin/head $HOME/headmail

Now, shell in and examine your two copies of head.

Surprise, they're not the same!

       Yes, I know it's a library loading problem.  My copy of
        head needs to load exactly the same libraries as the
        system copy.  Why would procmail be able to resolve one
        but not the other?  This is the BIG question.

BECAUSE THE SYSTEM THEY'RE _RUNNING_ ON ISN'T THE SAME.

If you're running /usr/bin/head, it's ostensibly a binary which is part of the same system which is providing the /usr/lib/ or whatever dir. If from a shell, you copy /usr/bin/head to your NFS mounted dir, you're copying the binary from your SHELL server, which normally has access to the libs on your shell server (when you attempt to run it from the shell prompt). Now, run it from the MAIL server, and it won't have those SAME libraries - it'll have whatever the mail server is providing.

Heck, there's no guarantee that the PROCMAIL you're running on the shell server is the same VERSION as the one running on the mail server.