Re: corrupted mboxes

2002-05-06 15:56:09
At 00:06 2002-05-07 +0200, Axel Heinrici did say:
It is me again. For some reason procmail produces corrupted mboxes.

Yea, that sort of happens when the author of the script ignores the need to LOCK mailboxes. Procmail does what you tell it to, and in this case, you're saying "write to this file, whenever, I don't care".

From 'man procmailrc':

By using any number of recipes you can presort your mail extremely
straightforward into several mailfolders.   Bear  in  mind  though
that  the  mail  can  arrive concurrently in these mailfolders (if
several procmail programs happen to run  at  the  same  time,  not
unlikely  if  a  lot of mail arrives).  To make sure this does not
result in a mess, proper use of lockfiles is highly recommended.

and:

Local lockfile
  If  you put a second (trailing) ':' on the first recipe line, then
  procmail will use a locallockfile (for this recipe only).  You can
  optionally specify the locallockfile to use; if you don't however,
  procmail will use the destination filename (or the  filename  fol-
  lowing the first '>>') and will append $LOCKEXT to it.