Re: corrupted mboxes

2002-05-06 18:11:46
At 01:39 2002-05-07 +0200, Axel Heinrici did say:
It took this from the examples delivered with procmail. And i did
not thought of this beeing buggy in this way.

See the FIRST recipe in 'man procmailex' (which is probably a scuba related recipe).

I dunno if the manpages for 3.22 have been corrected or not, but I know there are several recipes in the example pages which lack locking where they really should have it so as to not mislead new users. Hopefully they have, but I'm awaiting a few bug fixes before I make the leap and cannot confirm if the fixes have been applied.

:0 :                            # Anything from thf
* ^To.*physik*

BTW, trailing * is superfluous (and even if necessary, you probably don't expect mail To: physikkkkkkkkkk and variants - zero or more at the tail end of an expression can be expressed as zero of it).

institutsmail                   # Institusmails einsortieren

As a rule, I don't put comments ON the lines, or interspersed with conditions and deliveries - I put them immediatley preceeding a recipe block, or within braced levels.

If I understand right this should cause procmail to use
$MAILDIR/institutsmail.lock as local lockfile for this mbox. I

preceed the recipe with:

        VERBOSE=ON

and examine your logfile (if you get lots of email you probably don't want VERBOSE on fulltime).

As per Philip's comments on the From_ header (which is a key part of the mbox format), perhaps you should visit your fetchmail config. Perhaps you are misusing the 'mda' option (I dunno, as my use of fetchmail directs the messages to the local smtp server, not directly to an application). Seek assist from fetchmail gurus.