Sendmail is not sending message to Procmail

2002-05-21 18:09:10
Hello fellows,

I need some help.  I have spent hours searching in Procmail
and Sendmail and trying different things that came to mind,
to no avail.  I had my system running perfectly with Redhat
Linux 7.1 and Procmail 3.14.  I then suffered a hard disk
failure and afterwards discovered that the last set of
backups were corrupted.  I had to restore an old backup,
but, since I had to reinstall anyway, I updated to Redhat
Linux 7.2, which brought Procmail 3.21.

Well, after some trouble with the passwords, everything
seemed to be working, but now I discoverred that none of my
recipes work.  When I went to check the logfile, nothing
appears on it, even after turning verbose to "yes" and
logabstract to "all."  Obviously, Sendmail is not handling
it over to my .procmailrc file.  I checked the permissions
and only the owner has write permission.  Messages still get
delivered to defined users somehow.  Here is the error
message I received:

"This message could not be delivered to the following
recipients:

<test(_at_)usa-hosts(_dot_)com>:
No mail exchanger or IP address. (#5.4.4)"

It sounded like a DNS problem.  However, nothing has changed
on the DNS and that is my main domain.  Here are the
corresponding entry for my main domain and Ip in my
named.conf file:

zone "usa-hosts.com" IN {
        type master;
        file "named.usa-hosts.com";
        allow-update { none; };
};

zone "176.131.64.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        file "named.64.131.176";
        allow-update { none; };
};

and here is the /var/named/named.usa-hosts.com file:

$TTL    86400
$ORIGIN usa-hosts.com.
@                       1D IN SOA       @ root.usa-hosts.com (
                                        42              ; serial (d. adams)
                                        3H              ; refresh
                                        15M             ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

                        IN NS           64.131.176.121
                        IN MX 10        64.131.176.121

                        IN      A       64.131.176.121
www                     IN      A       64.131.176.121
dns1                    IN      A       64.131.176.121
ftp                     IN      CNAME   www
mail                    IN      CNAME   www

I noticed than in my var/named/ directory there is another
file called named.usa-hosts.com.txt which reads as follows:

$TTL    86400
@       IN      SOA   usa-hosts.com.  root.usa-hosts.com.  (
                                      2001071501 ; Serial
                                      28800      ; Refresh
                                      14400      ; Retry
                                      3600000    ; Expire
                                      86400 )    ; Minimum
                IN      NS      dns1.usa-hosts.com.
                IN      MX 10   dns1.usa-hosts.com.

                IN      A       64.131.176.121

www             IN      A       64.131.176.121
dns1            IN      A       64.131.176.121
ftp             IN      CNAME   www
mail            IN      CNAME   www

Now, I don't know much about DNS and Named, but I checked
and the same.txt file is in the old backup.  Even so, I
tried eliminating the .txt file and later, using the
contents of the .txt as the other file, but neither made any
difference, so I put them back as they were.

I next tried replacing the new sendmail.cf with the old one,
with no results, so I changed it back.  Then I decided to
see if using a .forward file, the message would reach
.procmailrc.  Here is the error message I got from the mail
delivery sub system:

The original message was received at Tue, 21 May 2002
16:54:53 -0400
from bosshome.usa-hosts.cxm [10.6.1.21]

   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal
errors -----
| /home/.procmailrc
    (reason: service unavailable)
    (expanded from: <test(_at_)usa-hosts(_dot_)com>)

smrsh: .procmailrc not available for sendmail programs
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

It seems that the problem lies within Sendmail, about which
I do not know much.  I do know however, that Redhat uses
Procmail as LDA and the appropiate entries seem to be in the
sendmail.cf file.  I have not changed the default
sendmail.cf.

Here is my Procmail version:

# procmail -v
procmail v3.21 2001/06/29
    Copyright (c) 1990-1999, Stephen R. van den Berg
<srb(_at_)cuci(_dot_)nl>
    Copyright (c) 1997-2001, Philip A. Guenther
<guenther(_at_)sendmail(_dot_)com>

Submit questions/answers to the procmail-related mailinglist
by sending to:
        <procmail-users(_at_)procmail(_dot_)org>

And of course, subscription and information requests for
this list to:
        <procmail-users-request(_at_)procmail(_dot_)org>

Locking strategies:     dotlocking, lockf()
Default rcfile:         $HOME/.procmailrc
        It may be writable by your primary group
Your system mailbox:    /var/spool/mail/usa

Now, I know that I should know what is going on, but I don't
and I am pressed for time.  So, if one of you kind souls
could graciously point it out to me, without too much
scolding, I would greatly appreciate it.

Humberto Rodriguez
humrod(_at_)telocity(_dot_)com