Re: Sendmail is not sending message to Procmail

2002-05-21 21:11:14
On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 07:39:25PM -0700, Professional Software Engineering
wrote:
but, since I had to reinstall anyway, I updated to Redhat Linux 7.2, which
brought Procmail 3.21.

As long as you're starting anew, you should upgrade that to 3.22 while it
is all fresh in your mind.  Some annoying bugs were fixed.

Unfortunatly the RPM distributed with RH 7.2 is for the older 3.21. Upgrading
to 3.22 would require a self compile. Not a big deal for most of us, but
probably wasn't the first thing on his mind when he rebuilt the machine.

sendmail doesn't hand anything over to .procmailrc - it invokes your LDA
which is either procmail (preferrable), or something else which might
hopefully pay attention to a .forward file (which if you previously had
procmail as LDA, and now do not, the necessary .forward probably isn't
hanging around) which you'd have written to invoke procmail.

The sendmail.cf distributed by Redhat already has procmail as the LDA, so he
probably didn't have a .forward file previously anyway.

It seems that the problem lies within Sendmail, about which
I do not know much.  I do know however, that Redhat uses
Procmail as LDA and the appropiate entries seem to be in the
sendmail.cf file.

You know this how?  You're positive?

         echo =M | sendmail -bt | grep \(local\)

Don't know about him, but I am. Procmail has been the default LDA configured
in Redhat's sendmail.cf since at least 4.1. Matter of fact I've been trying to
et something to that affect into the Procmail FAQ for some time, for all those
people that come onto the list who start out "I'm running Redhat, and I
tried to set up my .forward file as explained in man procmail..."
(And just as an experiment I tried you're little test command anyway. I'll
have to keep that in mind for future diagnostics. Very handy.)

--
Andrew Edelstein                 -              http://andrew.pure-chaos.com

Please do not reply directly to me, or Cc: me on a reply to a list message.
Replies sent back to the list are more effective, as the discussion remains in
front of the eyes of the rest of the list.