Re: Sendmail is not sending message to Procmail

2002-05-21 20:30:33
On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 09:00:08PM -0400, Humberto Rodriguez wrote:
Well, after some trouble with the passwords, everything seemed to be
working, but now I discoverred that none of my recipes work.  When I went to
check the logfile, nothing appears on it, even after turning verbose to
"yes" and logabstract to "all."  Obviously, Sendmail is not handling it over
to my .procmailrc file.

What does your sendmail log file say? (/var/log/maillog in Redhat)

I checked the permissions and only the owner has write permission.  Messages
still get delivered to defined users somehow.  Here is the error message I
received:

What do you mean by "defined users"? And what messages AREN'T being delivered?

and here is the /var/named/named.usa-hosts.com file:
                      IN NS           64.131.176.121
                      IN MX 10        64.131.176.121

(Waaaay off topic for this list, but...)
This is wrong. NS and MX records should NEVER be IP addresses. They should
ALWAYS be hostnames. And the hostnames should be A records, not CNAMES.

I noticed than in my var/named/ directory there is another
file called named.usa-hosts.com.txt which reads as follows:

This zone file is more correct. (in that it has fewer errors...)
This is probably the one you should be using.

    (reason: service unavailable)
    (expanded from: <test(_at_)usa-hosts(_dot_)com>)

smrsh: .procmailrc not available for sendmail programs
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

Didn't read the FAQ, didja? Check that procmail is enabled by smrsh (An
excercise I leave to the reader to figure out, since that's a Sendmail issue.
Hint: the FAQ will tell you how.)

Of course, that doesn't solve the original problem of why it appears your
.procmailrc isn't being read. But I'll betcha your sendmail log will prove
enlightening.

--
Andrew Edelstein                 -              http://andrew.pure-chaos.com

Please do not reply directly to me, or Cc: me on a reply to a list message.
Replies sent back to the list are more effective, as the discussion remains in
front of the eyes of the rest of the list.