Re: mail for all..

2002-05-30 10:55:26
At 10:36 2002-05-30 -0500, johnathan spectre wrote:
privledges to write to anyone's mbox. but no matter where i put it, procmail seems to ignore root's .procmailrc file (maybe this is a "feature"? i can't find any docs mentioning this).

No system logfiles? No directory details for the .procmailrc? No example from the .procmailrc?

Lots of things could make it seem like procmail isn't reading your .procmailrc. Chiefly among them are poor permissions.

FTR, you should endeavour to NOT have email processed for root: a security-conscious configuration will have root's email directed to a regular user account for the administrator. This has nothing to do with procmail, or your problem though.

i can't be the only person to try this. does anyone have a working solution or a better idea for my plan?

Read up on the formail options - there's one in there for using a specific program as the MDA (and the docs make specific reference to procmail) rather than passing it to the MTA via a local SMTP connection. ref: the 'mda' statement.