Re: procmail and sendmail virtual hosting

2002-07-03 15:30:54
At 12:10 2002-07-03 -0700, Eric S. Theise wrote:
set up exactly as described in some online procmail docs.

Exactly as described somewhere you're not making specific reference to, so it is set up exactly as nobody here would know what that is. Specific problems such as yours demand specific details such as this.

I host a number of domains on my system, and use sendmail's virtual
hosting and virtual user tables to deliver incoming mail to a virtual
domain to a local mailbox.

FTR, I use sendmail virtusertable and don't have these problems. Then again, I'm delivering to users who exist - even if they don't all have shell capability, they do exist.

procmail processing does not seem to take place on the mail to virtual
domains, even though it remains on the system.

"remains on the system" - by that, do you mean that it manages to be delivered to their mailbox, but you have no evidence that it was handled by procmail? Is this simply because some filters you'd expect to take action don't, or do the procmail VERBOSE logs show no sign of the message?

Since it seems that sendmail is for some reason not invoking procmail to deliver, have you considered running sendmail in the diagnostics mode and running address tests? Refer to the sendmail documentation for the details on how to do this - it'll tell you what mailer it would use given a specific address - perhaps sendmail isn't choosing procmail as the mailer?

Mail to users with accounts at the root or non-virtual domain is processed.

I suspect this is your problem: users with _accounts_. All it takes is your procmail script relying on having a valid _SHELL_, and it'll go to pot when there isn't one (which is why, sometimes, you need to define a shell in /etc/procmailrc for the processing there).

How can I force procmail to process all incoming email?

If procmail is the LDA, it'll be involved in all *LDA* delivered messages.

If you deliver to a prog, file, sendmail list, or to a remote address, then the LDA will not be invoked, but instead, the appropriate mailer will be.

Most of the virtual users are popmail only and do not have active shell accounts on the system.

And uh, this procmail filtering you want performed is supposed to happen where? One might assume you're doing somehting in /etc/procmailrc, but you don't say as much.

If these users don't have homedirs, and they don't have login shells, then anything you're doing from /etc/procmailrc which relies on these might have problems.

Please, provide DETAILS if you want a meaningful analysis of your configuration problem. Versions, platform, where scripts are, what diagnostics you've run to determine why it isn't working, and log entries showing it to be so.