Re: procmail and sendmail virtual hosting

2002-07-03 23:34:56
At 22:29 2002-07-03 -0700, Bart Schaefer did say:

> This is RUNNING a process which in turn requires a shell.

Actually that doesn't require a shell -- procmail forks'n'execs directly
unless there are shell metacharacters in the command.  (There's no script
here, spamc is an executable.)

Ah, I was under the mistaken impression that spamc was a shell script, and that in turn it would require a shell in order to interpret. My mistake.

Even if it did require a shell, procmail can get one via a SHELL=
assignment (or by using root's shell during /etc/procmailrc) even if the
user's /etc/passwd entry doesn't have one, as you pointed out.

You can scratch the "using root's shell" bit -- in /etc/procmailrc, it uses the shell defined for the user it is delivering for, even if at that space in time, it is running with root privilege. If you redefine SHELL in the /etc/procmailrc, it *REMAINS* redefined when procmail runs the users' own .procmailrc as well.