deferral: procmail:_Couldn't_create_"/var/spool/mail/j.smith"/

2002-08-03 04:00:15
all..
procmail qmail intergration is driving me nuts !! i'm totally stumped !!
i'm trying to call procmail from "/var/qmail/control/defaultdelivery" so
i can filter mail sitewide before any mail gets relayed to our internal mail
server for delivery to user accounts...

#/var/qmail/control/defaultdelivery
    | preline /usr/bin/procmail

#/etc/procmailrc
    :0fw
    | spamc

    :0:
    coughtspam

i keep getting a deferral error when i send my as
"j(_dot_)smith(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com"
delivery 2: deferral: procmail:_Couldn't_create_"/var/spool/mail/j.smith"/
it seems to me like procmail has no idea how to deliver to a ./Maildir/ or I
have idea how to tell it to...
can anyone help me with this, i'm slowly loosing my mind !!!