Re: Dave Massie/s&e/TWP is out of the office.

2002-09-27 11:24:43
fuzzman(_at_)m-net(_dot_)arbornet(_dot_)org wrote, as have others,

| Tongue in cheek or not, that is a really bad idea.  This kind of activity
| is why so many admins are ignoring SpamCop reports.  SpamCop is for spam
| in the sense of UCE, not "I don't like this person's message"

Part of the problem is that a lot of people seem to think that `spam' means
"any email I don't like."  When I was running a mailing list, one subscriber
wrote that he had lost interest in the topic, was unsubbing, and considered
the list's mail spam retroactively to the day he first thought about
unsubbing.  It was neither unsolicited nor commercial, but that didn't stop
him from throwing around the s-word.  I've seen it used for mailing list posts
that disagree with the respondent's views or disprove the respondent's
assertions.

And I've been called a spammer-sympathizer and also a spammer for saying that
punishment for spamming should be applied to those who originate, dispatch, or
transmit spam but not to everyone against else whom the punisher can
rationalize wreaking collateral damage.

The word has become nothing more than a vague generic putdown.  Sometimes on
this list, when posters speak of `spam,' we have to find out exactly what they
mean.

Charlie Summers wrote,

: Perhaps if they get enough
: complaints, they'll at least shut the d*mned thing down. (And if not, the
: person will have plenty of mail to clean up when he gets back.)

Or they'll fire Massie's sorry rump for the way he's been embarrassing the
company.  He'd come back from vacation to find they've given him the rest of
his life off.  Hey, we can dream, can't we?