Re: Dave Massie/s&e/TWP is out of the office.

2002-09-27 18:03:59
Stan Ryckman wrote:
Viking Piano Player's Union suggested:
:0
* ^From:.*\<bobblehead(_at_)beans\(_dot_)com
* ^Subject:.*(some twit)? is taking batting practice
| $SENDMAIL bobblehead(_at_)beans(_dot_)com -f
bobblehead(_at_)beans(_dot_)com

Offered PURELY fork-on-plate of course,
[...]

Note that
       .*(some twit)?
is equivalent to
       .*
except much slower.

But also: a few procmail versions ago I found and reported a bug when
using a regex something like that; I don't remember noticing whether
it's been reported to have been fixed.

I haven't kept track of the evolution of regexp parsers. Does the procmail
parser support that particular perlish aberration these days? Cool.

[...]
Anyway, for at least speed reasons, you should drop the "(some twit)?"
when doing that type of match.

But indeed, isn't that exactly the point? To drop (some twit), I mean...

I do concur, IME (some twit) is usually slower than your generic class *,
or even +

Making allowances for twits or any other special interest group isn't
necessarily the most efficient way to filter beans, and I suppose it could
open you to charges of twit discrimination somewhere. It does have a
certain appeal in an artistic sense, as personal expression. But I agree
with what you're saying, that it is best to can beans as efficiently as
possible, and that this is a purer form of artistry.

As the public self-proclaimed experts on canning beans, we should hold
ourselves to the highest standards imaginable.

--

Fred Morris
m3047(_at_)inwa(_dot_)net