Re: unexpected regexp handling - looks like a procmail bug

2002-10-25 07:16:13
Don from deliberate.net was a little taken aback:

| Wow, that one sure blindsided me.  Wonder what un-noticed
| consequenses that's had in my usage ... Sure changes the way I
| look at the generalized condition:
| * ^specific_header:(.*/<)?sometext

That depends largely on what "sometext" consists of.  If it's two words with a
space between them and no colon at the end of the first word -- in other
words, something that a line in the head can't start with -- there's no risk.
But Sean's example had

  ^headername:.*pattern\>.*sometext

or something like that, allowing the name [and some of the contents] of the
next header line to be matched to the second ".*" in that regexp.  It was
"\>.*" more than "\>" alone that caused his problem.

Reviewing your rcfiles if you didn't previously know that is a good idea, but
it's also possible that most if not all of your uses of \< and \> can remain
as they are.