Re: unexpected regexp handling - looks like a procmail bug

2002-10-26 16:33:40
(I originally sent this a couple of days ago, but I'd inadvertently offlisted it to David. Since it irks me when someone asks for assistance and doesn't acknowledge what is offered, I feel it is appropriate to ensure this is posted to the list, lest someone think I'm not giving others the same courtesy).

At 01:48 2002-10-25 -0500, David W. Tamkin did say:

No, it's no bug.  Read the fluffy procmailrc(5) manual: \< and \> can match a
newline.  If you want to be positive that the regexp doesn't cross a newline,

Doh! In my own extensive use of them for spam filtering, I'm matching against a SUBJECT variable (which allows for easier scoring use for exponents), so I haven't run into this. Where I ran into the problem was in a ^Subject: condition, which is still working out of the live headers. It sure seemed obscure - I was under the mistaken impression that the regexp was limited to a single header line component (after all, multiline headers are concatenated into one line).

Now I know better.  Thanks David.