Re: unexpected regexp handling - looks like a procmail bug

2002-10-25 09:17:04
On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 09:03:34 -0500, "David W. Tamkin" wrote:
=> But Sean's example had
=>   ^headername:.*pattern\>.*sometext

        OK, looking even more closely now, I see that the problem
lies with the use of the .* to allow zero or more of anything
after a potential EOL (implied by the \>) which then allows
unintended multi-line conditions to match.

=> Reviewing your rcfiles if you didn't previously know that is a good idea, but
=> it's also possible that most if not all of your uses of \< and \> can remain
=> as they are.

        Yes, I didn't use the zero or more of anything after
either of those and none of my other cases match anything close
to another legal header.  Nonetheless, I think I will switch over
to using Ruud's (thank you, Ruud) suggestion of:
WSEP="[^-_A-Za-z0-9]+"

        I do continually review [and try to improve] my set of
rcfiles but generally only on a pretty fine focus.  A more
general review is probably in order if for no other reason than
it's time to do so.

        My thanks to everyone who participates here for all the
help you've been to this lurker's amatuer procmail fumblings. I
greatly appreciate it.

        My only current procmail quest is to find a maintained
repository for virii stigmata to add to my virus filters. In
general, I'd rather use specifics wherever possible in that
filtering.

        Thanks,

        - Don