RE: ^^3^^

2002-10-29 07:22:45
David W. Tamkin wrote:

Sean explained the math of my expression to Dallman, but he added,

| (it could be any variable which exists - so there's really no magic
| to the use of HOST here - that's probably what puzzled dman).

Yes, there is magic to the use of HOST.  The expression must
match exactly twice.  So not only will the goal be missed if
the variable (a) is unset, but it also will if the variable
(b) is null, (c) begins with a newline, (d) ends with a newline,
or (e) contains only one character.

Even LOGNAME might have only one character.  HOST, though, is
a lock to escape all five problems.

Excellent.  Thanks, David and Sean.

--
Dallman Ross

"If you find a path with no obstacles, it probably does not lead to
anywhere."
        Thoughts of Rev. Sunnan Kubose, from _Zen in the Markets_