SA vs procmail (Was: RE: ^^3^^)

2002-10-29 07:31:32
On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 the voices made Dallman Ross write:

Third, my recipes are better than SA.  Without significant tuning,
SA gives me lots of false pozzes, and a few false negs.  My recipes
are simply more accurate.

 I just have to agree with you on this one... although, I do kind of base my
spamfiltering around DCC, meaning that anything I catch I report as many, and
then act upon that many-value.

 Maybe you think of that as cheating, but nevertheless I've had much better
results with this than with SA; and I don't have to worry about SA falsly
catching a friends e-mail simply because he sent me a dirty joke and/or
forwarded spam that he thought was funny.

Fourth, and I've saved the best for last: SA is a HOG.  I refuse to
fire up perl for each message,

 Well, there is the spamc and spamd-option.

and I refuse to full-body-grep each
message that comes in.  That is the same philosophy that spawns all
bloatware.  In my quest to do better than SA on my own, I use
*essentially no* body greps.  I find that I can consistently
catch 99.7% of spam, with very few false pozzes, using only
header matches.  I don't even look for $$$$$$$ or !!!!!!! or
"FREE!!!" in the Subject:.  Not that it's not a useful check; but
I just don't need it.  The spam gives itself away by characteristics,
so I rarely need to rely on specific choices of spammy words.

My recipes are lean and mean.  I can check and recheck batches
of spam at little cost.  One hundred at a time running through
my full rc, with log writes to /dev/tty, happen in 20 seconds.
I think I must be at about 100 times more efficient than SA.

SA is useful.  I use it as a tool to help me tune my recipes.  But
I don't want to rely on it.  I'd rather be in full personal control
of what happens to my mail.

 It's used serverwide, and looking at what I catch and SA catches I'm doing
much better without filtering based on SA.

        /Tony
--
# Per scientiam ad libertatem! // Through knowledge towards freedom! #
# Genom kunskap mot frihet! =*= (c) 1999-2002 tony(_at_)svanstrom(_dot_)com =*=

     perl -e'print$_{$_} for sort%_=`lynx -dump svanstrom.com/t`'