Re: Not writing to .procmail.log

2002-12-07 18:26:28
I suggested to Bob,

| > My first guess: maybe there was a line in /etc/procmailrc defining PMDIR.

He replied.

| Pretty good guess except that there has never been a /etc/procmailrc (it
| doesn't show up when "locate procmailrc" is run).

Would locate find a non-executable file in /etc?

| Even if it did exist,
| why didn't it work before I changed $HOME/.procmailrc?

You said it *did* work in the past.  Now you're saying it didn't.

It never should have.  If you haven't yet defined PMDIR, then $PMDIR is unset,
and LOGFILE=$PMDIR/procmail.log would set $LOGFILE to /procmail.log in the
root directory of your system.  If your user account doesn't have permission
to write there -- and it shouldn't; even if you're the sysadmin your regular
login shouldn't have write perms in /, and while you can create files there if
you su to root, you shouldn't be receiving mail as root -- then procmail can't
create a logfile in /.

I thought you understood all that and were wondering why it had ever worked at
all.  And the only thing you changed is your .procmailrc?  Maybe your old
.procmailrc had another assignment defining PMDIR before it defined LOGFILE
... that is, if it used to work in the past.