Re: [procmail] Not writing to .procmail.log

2002-12-06 19:14:39
On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Nancy McGough wrote:

Procmail will create the log file if it does not exist so I
suggest that you:

1] rm .procmail.log

2] make sure the HOME directory and .procmailrc permissions are
   set correctly, which I discuss here:

 <http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/#setPermissions>

3] send yourself a test message

Nancy,

Please tell me if there is a good answer for this:

For a couple of years my .procmailrc file worked and looked like this:

SHELL=/bin/sh
LOGFILE=$PMDIR/.procmail.log
VERBOSE=no
MAILDIR=/var/spool/mail
LOGABSTRACT=all

# directory for storing procmail related files
PMDIR=$HOME/Procmail

INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/duplicates.rc
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/basics.rc
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/backup.rc
#INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/testing.rc
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/lists.rc
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/spamtrap.rc

What sparked my problem was that I deleted the .procmai.log and
.procmai.log.old files and ran fetchmail to see if they would be
recreated. They weren't. This led me to start playing with
permissions, groups, etc. (after RTFMing 'till I was blind) Next came the
pleas on this NG. After your reply I took a good look at .procmailrc and
noticed LOGFILE was defined before PMDIR so I changed it to:

SHELL=/bin/sh
PMDIR=$HOME/Procmail
LOGFILE=$PMDIR/.procmail.log
VERBOSE=no
MAILDIR=/var/spool/mail
LOGABSTRACT=all

INCLUDERC=etc. etc.

Lo and behold it works!

What I'd like an answer to however, is why the first version worked at
all.

Thanks for your reply. After confirming that the log file *should* be
automatically created, it got me looking at the right thing.

Thanks again.

--
Bob Holtzman
 ......check the price of the beer!"