Re: Message Ids

2002-12-10 10:16:47
fleet(_at_)teachout(_dot_)org wrote:

I'm a little confused about this Message-ID business.  I'm not
seeing domain names in message id's in much of my mail.  For
example, all of the following mail was received from family
members, many of whom have problems sending e-mail - let alone
doing any "hacking."

All of the above originated on Windows machines using some

So, what was your question, again?  Oh, yeah:  Why doesn't Microsoft
conform to accepted standards and recommended procedures, was it?
Put in that light, with the stress on the word "Microsoft," do you
still wonder?  Microsoft is infamous for breaking standards and
failing to honor recommended procedure.

My documentational comment to myself in my rc that deals with
Message-IDs and RFCs says, "# RFC 2822 strongly recommends M-ID format
(NB: widely ignored)."  Note the part in brackets.  :-)

version of outlook.  I suppose the first field could be mailer
versions, but I don't see any date-time strings.

There are easy ways to peg Outlook Express -- which is what it looks
to me like these came from, not Outlook.  The latter is a different
program entirely, though both are from Microsoft.  Anyway, you can
decline to bother with the recipe that would check conformance if
it's from OE.

When I grep for Message-ID on known spam I've received, I find
that about 50% of the Message-IDs contain my own server domain.
???

Yes, that implies that the mail was injected (at the SMTP port)
directly from the spammer's end and without a Message-ID.  Your
server ascribes one if none is present.  That's routine.  I use
that along with a more complex trust calculus in another recipe,
as a matter of fact, as another of my spam-fighting recipes.
Thirteen of my last 100 spam messages were ID'd by that recipe;
though often the count is higher.

--
dman