Re: Message Ids

2002-12-10 14:06:32
On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 dman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com wrote:

So, what was your question, again?  Oh, yeah:  Why doesn't Microsoft
conform to accepted standards and recommended procedures, was it?

No.  My question, which Sean has already answered, was why don't the
message IDs I see conform to the one Sean provided as an example.  I use
Linux because I got sick of Windows - but the rest of my family appears to
be able to tolerate it.

When I grep for Message-ID on known spam I've received, I find
that about 50% of the Message-IDs contain my own server domain.
???

Yes, that implies that the mail was injected (at the SMTP port)
directly from the spammer's end and without a Message-ID.  Your
server ascribes one if none is present.  That's routine.  I use
that along with a more complex trust calculus in another recipe,
as a matter of fact, as another of my spam-fighting recipes.

Then I could use a rule that said, in effect, if the Message-ID contains
raq2.paxp.com (my server) then I can assume it is (highly probably) spam?
Message-IDs that are received from me have fleet1.paxp.com in
Pine-generated IDs.  I should be able to use this even for those damned
Undisclosed Recipient messages?  (Every once in a while I get a valid BCC
message; but usually from a known source who's message would have a valid
Message-ID.)

                                - fleet -