Removing and storing attachments

2002-12-23 20:26:35
I want to take mail from one mailing list and extract the attachments into
a directory.

Ideally the process would go like this:
1. take all mail to graphics(_at_)somelistserv
2. put all attachments in ~/some/archive/directory
3. insert a "attachment archived: somefilename" statements into the text
4. deliver mail to its proper directory

Step 3 is not required, it would be very nice however.

Step 2... I'm not sure which would be best, excluding HTML/text/other non-
target attachments or specifically stating to only archive certain file
extensions.  Off the top of my head I need it to save jpg(jpeg), gif, bmp,
psp, psd, q5q, q9q, tub, ttf, and zip at the least.

Also, I need to consider the possibility of multiple files with the same
name.  Other than 'sig tags' the incidence should be low and I think
changing the storage directory periodically will avoid losing anything
'important' if I just let it overwrite old files.  However that does
require whatever program/script I use be able to either rename files or
overwrite them without question.

I know how to do steps 1 and 4 of course, I just need help with the
important stuff in the middle. :)  I have seen messages in the archives
about removing attachments and a few mention metamail for 'splitting off'
attachments but I don't know how to get from there to here.

Thanks for any help,

Teph