Re: Removing and storing attachments

2002-12-29 23:19:13
Now that the relatives have decided the holiday is over....

Sean,
Thank you for bringing up a lot of good points I hadn't fully considered
yet.

I had indeed thought to make my archives web accessible.  Which reminded me
that I would also have to make sure all the archived files have the proper
permissions.

I had also considered the date-based directories though I hadn't decided on
daily directories until you got me thinking about duplicate file names and
periodic purges.  Given the number of users with 'sig tag' graphics I'll
probably opt for overwriting duplicates rather than doing cyclic file
naming.  The idea of a bunch of directories each with dozens of duplicate
images offends my sensibilities.

Ya might want to search around for a program called "stripmime", which
is a small perl utility.  Hack that up a bit to pass the chunks to an
external MIME decoder (or implement your own with a perl MIME library
- there are several).

I took a look at stripmime... my perl needs some beefing up to hack that (I
consider myself a novice) but it does give me a good reason to beat the
rust off my perl.  I'm also looking at metamail since it came up so often
in the archives.  I can't be the only person to have wanted to do something
like this so I'm willing to look around some before hacking up something
myself.

UUENCODED and BINHEX attachments are a whole 'nuther joy for you to consider.

You are a nasty evil person for reminding me.  :P  ;>  Fortunately in the
years I've been on the list I've never seen UUENCODED attachments.  I can't
be sure about the BINHEX but pretty certain we've never had them either.
Sometimes a massive majority of Outlook users is handy... I guess.

Nice page.

Teph