Re: ATTN ADMINS: Web Page needs unsubscribe instructions!

2003-01-07 22:39:58
On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 04:30:16PM -0500, Charles Gregory wrote:

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Stan Ryckman wrote:
Headers are only "hidden" when people tell their mail clients not
to display them.

Tell that to the Outlook users. (sigh) They scratch their heads and go
'huh', until I point out this tiny link to 'view full headers'....... :(

The "List-Unsubscribe:" header is now specified by an RFC (RFC 2369,
July 1998)....

Thanks for contributing to my education. (grin) I will read the RFC and
see about upgrading our own lists.

well, this does link to one of my pet peeves, and that is the
proliferation of header lines.  I looked in my .muttrc the other day
and realized i had 15 lines of 'ignore' with 1/2-dozen headers in each
line.  i wiped 'em all out and put in 'ignore *' and added back the
five i actually want to see.  it's one thing to criticise people for
not having headers visible, but when those headers amount to 1/2 or
2/3 of the first page of text, it is past ridiculous.  of course, i
may be a sinner in this regard, too.  but i don't think so.

otoh, i do know how to unsub a mailing list.  well, all except one --
i subscribed to it so long ago, i don't know what email address i
used.  it somehow still comes to me but neither the listowner nor the
listserv responded to my unsub requests.  so, it is just procmailed
into its own folder & periodically, i delete it.

mp