Re: help with scoring & size condition

2003-01-11 16:07:36
I wrote, for counting the characters,

| >  * 1^1 .
| >  * 1^1 ^.*$
| >  * -1^0 ($)^^

Dallman responded,

| Okay, David, point taken.  but yours here isn't quite right
| either.  I've experimented some, but can't quite get it.

"Isn't quite right" and "can't quite get it" are too vague: what happens
instead?  The first condition counts the non-newline characters, the second
counts the whole lines (and thus gets a count of the newlines), and the third
undoes the error in the second where, if the search area ends in a real
newline, it and the putative closing newline get counted as an extra line.

Seems to me that we used to count characters, real newlines included but
putative newlines excluded, this way,

 * 1^1 > 1

or if you're Fred Morris,