generic matching for mailing lists...

2003-01-12 09:22:55
Hi folks,

Thanks to folks on this list and elsewhere, I'm using what I think is a fairly
typical generic match for mailing lists, but there are still a few lists it
won't cover, and I don't see a good way to handle them. The recipe I use is
(note that [    ] encloses a space and tab):

MONTHFOLDER=`date +%Y-%m`
:0:
* ^(Sender:[    ]*owner-|X-BeenThere:[  ]*|Delivered-To:[       ]*mailing list
|X-Loop:[        ]*)\/[-A-Za-z0-9_+]+
$MATCH/$MATCH.$MONTHFOLDER

This works for all but about 8 lists I'm on, which is pretty good. For those 8
stragglers though, I can't seem to figure out anything robust.  I'm also a bit
hesitant, because I don't have deep knowledge of the culture of email headers,
that might indicate that a given header will behave the same for many lists.

I've put up archives of the problem mailing lists at
http://tumblerings.org/~zbrown/procmail/

I really pored over these headers before posting here. But I'm stumped.

Thanks,
Zack

--
Zack Brown