Re: generic matching for mailing lists...

2003-01-12 20:34:34
At 18:44 2003-01-12 -0800, jonathon wrote:

        I'd test it out, vut the last time I ran a similar recipe, I
        virtually crashed the system.

Perhaps it is time to urge your sysadm to upgrade from his 386...

Use a sandbox, start by testing using a small saved mailbox, and when things look right, try progressively larger mailboxes. Unless you do something horribly wrong, it's quite a feat to crash a system on one or two test messages, and if your sandbox (and recipe) properly redefine some things like $SENDMAIL, you generally don't run a risk of mail loops - your script isn't running on live mail, and it isn't sending anything out (if the recipe were normally to send autoreplies or forwards).