Re: generic matching for mailing lists...

2003-01-12 12:25:51
At 18:59 2003-01-12 +0100, poff(_at_)sixbit(_dot_)org wrote:
:0H:
* ? egrep -i "Listar|majordomo|List-Id:|Precedence: list"
lists

Uh, why are you running egrep to do this? Seems like a monumental waste of cpu cycles.

I'm curious (Still learning) - do you get mail like:
poff.sixbit.org/poff.sixbit.org.2002-12

Or is the "from" the mailing list in all cases, so you'd get:

procmail(_at_)Lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE/procmail(_at_)Lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE(_dot_)2002-12

Why not evaluate the conditions his recipe? Or heck, RUN IT IN A SANDBOX ON YOUR OWN EMAIL.

procmail/procmail.2003-01

Or does it stop at the @ (what is the _+ for in your regexp? is that sort
ofa wildcard thing?)

Might I recommend a good regexp book?

The [] encloses a character class - in this case, consisting of a dash, the letters, numbers, underscore, and plus (the upper AND lowercase letter specifications are unnecessary however, as I'll mention in a post I'll be sending shortly). For certain reasons, dash needs to be at the front of the specification if it is there.

Well anyway, hope my basic version helped!

Sadly, I suspect not -- he's trying to use the $MATCH construct to identify the actual LISTNAME and use that for the file to dump that message into. I doubt he wants ALL of his listmail in one folder.

Doesn't seem to for your headers, you could also do a case=by=case one isntead (sender: lists.*)

Case-by-case is definatley not what he's looking to do.