regular exression question

2003-01-30 15:00:25
hi all,

thanks for the help with my fgrep, formail issues.

i have a question about reg exp and procmail
i got the following header

From: "Sundeep Khosla" <sundeep(_dot_)khosla(_at_)xxxxx(_dot_)com>

my recipie

in my recipies i am looking for emails from "deepa"
:0:
* ^(From).*deepa*
frequentmail/deepa

This recipie matched. even though there was is no "deepa" in the from field, but

* ^(From).*deepa.*

didn't match and seems to have worked.

what is the difference between *deepa* and *deepa.* ???

isn't the difference "deepadeepadeepa" would match on the first rule and "deepa
deepa deepa" would
match the 2nd rule..

similar stuff happens with my other *rules*
all in all am a bit confused with this whole regexp thing.

Thanks
manoj