Re: newbie needs help with attachment filter

2003-02-19 01:50:18
On Tuesday, Feb 18, 2003, at 19:36 Canada/Mountain, Professional Software Engineering wrote:
There are more precise recipes available for this, including:

        <http://www.johncon.com/john/QuarantineAttachments/>

While this page has a great script (and explanation) it also trashes nearly every possible attachemnt someone might want to receive, including bz2, tar, tgz, zip, rar, jpg, gif, and many others. It's a great recipe if you don't wnat any attachments. Otherwise, it's massively large scope makes it, IMO, useless in most real-world situations.

The trouble with using this as a launching point is that, not being a windoid, I don't know what some of those extensions are. Are they really dangerous (pif) or a archive format (tgz). For example, I've never heard of .can .amp .ade .adp .chm .cil, and at least half of the list John defines.

I know enough to allow through arc arj rar tar tgz gz pdf zip and the various image formats.

I wonder what useful attachments this recipe leaves? WOuldn't it be easier to just strip them ALL?

--
"Here comes sunrise. Yeah, here's your sunrise. I used to hide from the sun, tried to live my whole life underground, why'd you have to rise and ruin all my fun? Just turn over; close the curtains on the day."