RE: How to deal fakename(_at_)real-domain(_dot_)com mail

2003-02-22 22:39:52
Ross,

You have pretty much summarized all of the thoughts
that I have had about this recipe.

I think everyone would agree that one filter is not
going to get rid of everything. I'm sure my recipes
are not as well crafted as yours or many in this
group. I have dozens of recipes with probably 100's of
 settings and subjects and alas still they get
through. But that is fine at least we have cut it by
about 80%. Barring my filters for yahoo and hotmail, I
think that any given recipe only filters out a small
amount. So you need an arsenal of recipes to reduce
the flood. This one is one. Perhaps for stupid reasons
but I like to order my rc files so that the obvious
things get deleted or moved to a file first then try a
little more heuristic moves near the end.

In-deed if mail comes to me with out the right user
name eg. Porn(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com we are considering deleting
 it. Every organization I suppose makes it decisions
and if we make that decision and those in power agree
then it?s a done deal. We have about 30 users. People
may be angry that some mail is deleted but if the
decision is made, being an employee is more of a
dictatorship than democracy. We expect that in
any /dev/null scheme there may be some leakage. Hopefully none but we
acknowledge that it may happen.
Generally what we do is send it to a file first for a
month or so and then look at it. If it seems to work
then we move it to just writing to null. This is what
we would do in this instance. I would never just
implement a recipe w/o first trying it and send it all
to null, will unless it was "X-Rated Girls"

Once again I will have to try the recipe you have
provided to see if it fits, I suppose what people may
think by now is my fussy nature.

Thank you for you patient in spending "way, way, way
too long." on it. If I have any further positive
comments and perhaps even an alternative solution I
will post it. I certainly don?t expect any further
suggestions on this idea. It looks like I have
monopolized things enough.

Regards