Re: script to determine the folder name?

2003-03-06 10:03:24
On Thu, 06 Mar 2003 09:32:36 -0500, Tom Limoncelli wrote:
=> That's really useful.  I didn't know I could
=> assign variables in one recipe for use in the next.

        Indeed, use of variables to capture state and/or data and
then carry forward for later processing, including conditional
processing, is one of the hidden powers in procmail that are not
at all obvious to most new users.  Took me forever to figure it
out as no one seems to emphasize it whatsoever. I had a "great
leap forwards" when it all finally dawned on me.

        One really *can* program in procmail. A few simple tricks
can get you started. A few more esoteric tricks and almost
anything is possible.

        BTW: Another good bit of info is that one can setup a
"sandbox" to test out procmail programming without screwing up
your real-world processing.  Learn to do that and then avoid the
"real-time open-heart surgery" trial-and-error changing of
production code and life with procmail can almost be fun.

        Cheers,

        - Don